Cap spent the day in the city yesterday participating in a conference for adult educators. He left the apartment at 6:30 and commuted in. He put in a full day and met Stephen for coffee afterwards.
The kids and I wanted to pick him up at the station, but our phones have been tempestuous and we could not connect in time. (Cap's cell has reason to be upset. It went through the washing machine a few months ago. Our home phone has no such excuse. Sometimes it rings REALLY loudly and sometimes it fails to ring at all. As if possessed.)
Cap came home around 7:30 and the kids tumbled into bed with him to hear a Rhino story (a homegrown yarn :-)
When he stumbled out, so tired, I made an executive decision and he ordered a veggie fried rice and sweet and sour chicken (his take-out comfort food).
I was worn out from attempting to keep my pms at bay for the last few hours of the day while alone with the kids. First was very needy and grumpy (his fever spiked overnight and has persisted today which explains that) and when the two of us are needy and grumpy we tend to implode and combust about each other over and over. I know, I'm the mom and I should be able to control myself, but sometimes I mess up.
So, I idly surfed through the DVR to see what we had recorded and came upon Smokin' Aces. Smokin' Aces is a flashy, hyper movie with a cast of thousands. Ben Affleck! Ray Liotta! Andy Garcia! Ari from Entourage! Alicia Keyes! Ryan Reynolds! Peter Berg! Jason Bateman!
I figured I'd watch it long enough to decide it stunk and then I'd delete it. And the Chinese food would be delivered about then and we could choose something together to hunker down with.
We ended up watching the whole thing. Don't get me wrong, it stunk. But, after awhile, I have to admit, I wanted to see how it was going to end. The best part of the movie for me was seeing Jason Bateman in his scene. He was great and got to play a part that showcased his art. And Ryan Reynolds was solid.
I then cleansed my palate with a new episode of House. Not sure why Fox held onto what was clearly the "Christmas" episode till the end of January, but I didn't care. It was a new episode of House!
Cap even watched much of this while he was at his laptop. A true sign of his fatigue.
4 comments:
Hi Shirley,
As a native Cantabrigian, I will watch ANYTHING with Ben or Casey Affleck in it..I taught with Chris Affleck in the late 70's/early 80's, and with Nancy Carlsson-Paige (Matt Damon's mom) at Lesley...and since Matt, Ben and Casey went to the same high school I attended, and my daughters attend(ed), I am very proud of them! I haven't seen Smokin' Aces, yet, however, so I reserve judgement..but am glad to note that you have watched it and commented on it...
Susan
Hi Sue! I owe you a long e-mail, you have been on my mind.
Back when we lived in Cambridge I felt such a thrill and joy when Ben and Matt found success. And pride, yes, Cantabridgian pride.
Did you see my post about the movie Lonesome Jim? Casey was in that one and was very good. I like him a lot.
I'm interested in seeing Gone Baby Gone because of the Ben-Casey connection, but the book took a bit out of me and so will wait a bit to see the movie.
I didn't know that you taught with Chris. I never met her. My friend, Julie, whose comments you may have seen on the blog used to teach art after school at Chris' school :-)
I don't think I ever met Nancy during my time at Lesley.
Hi SHirley,
Yes, I read your comment about Lonesome Jim, but haven't yet seen it; nor have I seen Gone Baby Gone, a book that fascinated and repelled me also. I followed Ben's experience as a director in the Boston Globe closely that summer, and even drove down the street where he and Jennifer Garner were living more than once, I'm embarrassed to say... (!)..and so it goes. Yes, as a Cantabrigian and parent of a Cambridge Rindge and Latin grad and current student, I am proud of Matt, Ben and Casey; it is a weird situation. I go to my local gym where Matt Damon's mom is also a member, and often run into her...a small connection to celebrity...
And an email would be great when you get a chance!
Susan
Hey -
Yes I taught at the same school as Chris Affleck, but I was in the basement. I think she came down once looking for old film canisters for a craft, but that was about as close as I've ever gotten to either Ben or Matt. But I DID meet Minnie Driver when she was in town shooting Good Will Hunting. She came into the doctor's office where I worked. She was very nice.
PS. Shirl - I think it's very funny that Jeremy Piven is referred to as "Ari from Entourage". !!!:)
Post a Comment