Monday, January 21, 2008

Borders

Went to a local Borders book store to meet up with Kelly, Pippa and Mary yesterday. We combined going for coffee with perusing the 40% off all stock before closing sale.

It was strange being in the place and position with my newfound knowledge and understanding of my money. I did have a gift card that Renée gave us for X-mas and had that in hand.

I picked up and put down a few books. D'Aulaire's Norse myths, a David Macauley book (Underground), and a Magic Schoolbus book about famous scientists (which I would have bought if it had been paperback).

I could not resist The Castle Corona by Sharon Creech. Her book, Walk Two Moons, is an amazing book for young (and old) readers and made a big impression on me years ago. I bought Castle Corona for Will for his birthday unable to resist it then. The illustrations are just gorgeous (done by David Diaz).


I ended up picking up two paperback mysteries for myself, Gone Baby Gone by Dennis Lehane and Red Hook by Reggie Nadelson. The funny thing about Red Hook is that a few years ago I had made a note to myself to check out a mystery called Red Hook but I'm pretty sure this is another mystery called Red Hook :-)

I looked for the Michael Chabon book The Yiddish Policeman's Union for Cap, but they were all out of it. As soon as I was on line I wished I had looked or some Neil Gaiman stuff. It was one of those situations where I became fairly overwhelmed and couldn't think very clearly. Feeling like I should find something because it would be a bargain, being jostled by the bodies and murmurs of a crowd.

It was a relief to sit down for some coffee afterwards (the café was closed and we ended up at a Starbucks nearby).

It's almost always good to have a young one around. Nurslings are great for soothing frazzle.

4 comments:

Holly said...

Am I to understand that you and Mary were sans enfants? How did you orchestrate that? Where was everybody?
Zipped through Stardust, by the way, and loved it. Did you read Neverwhere? I'd seen the movie (mini series?) years ago and loved it despite the lo-budge bbc tv Dr.Who-esque production quality. But I've never read the books...

Holly said...

And speaking of David Macaulay, Lucia borrowed the dvd of the cartoon show of The Way Things Work from the American Library, and we've been watching them - I highly recommend them. They're really well done and a great introduction to physics.

shirley said...

Mary and I were sans kinds though Grace was sad yesterday and so Mary didn't stick around for coffee. (We just saw them briefly at the Newark Museum and G seemed fine :-)

We're trying to get together without kids once in awhile, which I love. Last month Mary, Kate and I met up at Café Eclectic.

Thanks for the dvd tip. I haven't read Neverwhere yet.

Anonymous said...

omg that baby is too cute! and what a great photo of her! thanks for posting :) lol!

kelly