Friday, September 07, 2007

Week one

This week was supposed to our first week of "back to school". Despite my unschooling leanings, there is something about being "off" for the summer and re-entering the structure of a school year that appeals to me. In fact, having the summer off is what really freed me up to unschool this summer.

This is a synopsis of what happened this week:

Tuesday

• I decided not to give the kids their "back to school" presents because First decided he wanted to start school when Owen and Lukas did, on Thursday.

• Danielle and the kids were back from Maine and so I dropped them off to play while I ran some errands: picking up my glasses and touring and joining the Y.

• After lunch, the kids and I drove up to the park with Baxter and walked the paved loop.

• I made dinner from scratch for the first time in what felt like a long time. Between my shoulder strain and then my cold, I've been serving up a lot of hot dogs lately.

• I spent some time researching something for Cap (online and by phone).

Wednesday

• After breakfast, I cooked. Made one of First's faves, carrot tofu scramble for lunch and then made chicken and green beans from the farm for dinner. I also breaded and fried some eggplant from the farm.

• After lunch the kids and I walked to the park down the street with Baxter and played. We spent a lot of time watching the small school of fish in the stream.

• The kids drew a lot.

• I finally chose a read aloud book and we read the first chapter of Mary Poppins.

• I spent time online checking into the Christopherus forum (printed two articles on festivals which are being studied right now, amongst other things) and e-mailing (happy about the burst of e-mail with Wendy).

Thursday

• I went to the dentist to get two cavities filled, had a wonderfully kid-free time in the hardware store and then dropped in on Danielle to see how her kids going back to school was.

• Fed the kids lunch and baked some banana choco chip muffins to bring over to Kelly's.

• Dropped the kids off to Kelly's and Cap and I went to his and hers acupuncturist appts.

• A quick walk around the block with Bax followed by picking up sandwiches at a local Italian place and driving Cap up to work before dinner.

When I told First he was going to the dentist on Monday morning, he asked whether that would interfere with our first day of school. I told him I'd get back to him.

I'm feeling kind of vulnerable, a bit like my skin is jumpy...no, more like it's nervy. I think it's connected to seeing the acupuncturist. Despite the feeling that I'm off balance, or perhaps because of it, I am feeling some clarity.

I need to plant my feet and take a breath.

No comments: