Monday, December 04, 2006

Where to start

Here.

Cap came home this morning from a week away. He flew the red-eye and after a quick shower and bowl of cereal, went to work. All he wants to do tonight is crack open a beer and chill on the couch. He's out getting some Chinese food as I type.

The kids and I went to Fiber Arts Circle today. It was at Holly and Lucia's house. Kelly, Lila and Pippa were there, as were Mary, Grace and Elinor. We met Mary and her daughters for the first time today. It was nice. Comfortable, open, welcoming.

I had pretty serious apartment envy, Holly's place is on the 6th floor of an 8 floor, old, beautiful apartment building with two apartments per floor. 1500 sq. ft., hardwood floors, high ceilings and a view of the Manhattan skyline. I felt like I was in a nest high atop the treetops. (An even lovelier surprise was returning home and feeling a powerful sense and love of our home. It's currently a mess and has such drab carpets and bare walls and is so not put together, but it's still our place, no doubt.)

Kinder started weaving on one of those pot holder making looms. He got about half the loops on going in one direction :-) First wanted to make snow out of fibers and worked on that for awhile. He ended up sewing up a piece of wool roving into a little ball. I brought along a few unfinished things that have been laying around for awhile and managed to sew back on the head of a little stuffed cat.

I'm looking forward to becoming more regular attendants of this gathering.

Tomorrow we are going on a field trip to the Turtle Back Zoo in West Orange. I have learned that First likes the terminology of "school". So when I said we were going on a "field trip", as opposed to "let's go check out the zoo", he was thrilled and excited. I asked him recently what he wanted to "do" once we resume more of a structured "home school" in January and the first thing he said was that he wanted home work :-)

I developed yet a new incarnation of a schedule yesterday and when I showed him that I'd like to have a block with Kinder during which time he would do stuff on his own, I impulsively said, "you know, like homework", and boy did his smile shine.

Wednesday we have a playdate with a Waldorf inspired home schooling family.

Friday we are going to observe a drumming and movement class that has a wonderful reputation for having amazing teachers.

Saturday, hopefully, we'll put the tree and decorations up.

Sunday, I have an appointment with Dr. Li and the kids will spend time with their uncle Takai and Auntie Lisa in Forest Hills.

Chinese food is here. Heroes is on tonight. Thanks for reading, my friends and sorry for the long absence.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have one of my earliest memories about the Turtle Back Zoo. It is vague, sensory and exceedingly pleasant. The funny thing is I have only verbalized the Turtle Back Zoo and never saw it in writing before. Seeing it spelled out makes it seem like a different thing. Does that make sense? You know like it only belongs to the days before I could spell and then you realize as an adult that the Turtle Back Zoo sounds really silly as the name of a zoo, but as a kid it all ran together...theturtlebackzoo...and it made perfect sense.

shirley said...

Thank you for that. Not only was it rewarding to have a comment posted the same day I came back to the blog, but it made me feel very connected, as well.

The kids both have colds and it is 30ยบ out so we will not be going to the zoo today after all...