I'm sending off Gem on a great baseball adventure to commemorate his first decade.
He and Cap will be road tripping through Cooperstown, Syracuse, Toronto, Niagara Falls, and Scranton. Three baseball games on three consecutive nights. In Toronto they will be seeing the Red Sox play the Blue Jays.
I love this itinerary. Gem picked Toronto as his destination and Cap and I filled in the blanks. Gem's love of baseball has grown exponentially in the last few months. He is excited for this trip.
My feelings of love, joy, and nervous tension, are reaching a crescendo tinged with undeniable bittersweet. I've never watched him drive away from me, he's never gone on a trip without me.
The kitchen is so good for transferring and transforming this type of emotional whirlwind. I made one of the kids' favorite dinners tonight: meatloaf. They were in heaven, I felt very grounded, all was good.
Now I hear them talking in their room with the night light on, sleep running a distant second to the hum coursing through their systems as they anticipate tomorrow. My pulse is quickening, too. Time to go chill.
Side note: I am very much looking forward to three days alone with Sag. Sag, who will be dealing with his own experience of being separated from his brother, and being fully aware of it, for the first time ever.
5 comments:
Ah, the first letting go. I remember years ago when my oldest went off with my parents for a trip to Niagara Falls. The first of many separations. It gets easier, which is sad, in a way. That little boy is almost 24 now.
I've been meaning to come back here for ages and I'm so sorry it took so long! You're a wonderful writer. I don't suppose I could talk you into adding an e-mail subscription widget? I'm lazy, I like blog updates to come right to my inbox. ;)
In the meantime, I'll add you to my blogroll so I don't forget to visit.
Denise, thank you (hand to my heart).
An e-mail subscription widget...I'll look into that.
I didn't realize they were doing this much traveling. I thought they were just going to Cooperstown. This sounds like a great trip. While it will be hard for everyone to handle being away from one another I think it will be a great experience for you all. I think it's nice when you can have that special one-on-one time with each child.
Almost two hours in and I feel the worst of my emotional agitation is over. Ready to ease into this time with T :-)
Denise, let me know if you are now able to subscribe to posts. I added a gadget below the traffic feed. Thanks!
Post a Comment