• Poetry is a way to name emotions, events, experiences... I've been turning to this art form...this way of expressing...these communications to one and all. Poetry is not easy for me. When I was little I appreciated the simple forms of haiku and limericks.
Poetry has been on my periphery though. My partner writes poetry. I have close friends who are poets. I have an ex who wrote poetry (a poem he wrote for me remains to this day one of the greatest gifts I have received.) My favorite author writes poetry. My favorite songwriter has introduced me to poetry. (Songs are a hybrid of prose and poetry, no? Well, with an aural component all its own, too...)
I am circling poetry anew lately. I wrote a poem. And I kind of want to write more. So I thought I should read some poetry. Educate myself. Step in and get a lay of the land.
I requested two volumes from the library: E.E. Cummings and Hafiz (avoiding Daniel Ladinsky for now).
I've started with E.E. I'm reading Collected Poems, which was published in 1963. The poems aren't doing much for me, though I am learning something about flow and energy...there's something there. However, his words in the introduction touched me...blew me away.
"...If mostpeople were to be born twice they'd improbably call it dying---
you and I are not snobs. We can never be born enough. We are human beings;for whom birth is a supremely welcome mystery,the mystery of growing: the mystery which happens only and whenever we are faithful to ourselves. You and I wear the dangerous looseness of doom and find it becoming. Life, for eternal us, is now; and now is much too busy being a little more than everything to seem anything,catastrophic included..."
• I am in the process of discovering what it is I will name my photographic self. I am not thinking of going into business, but it has been brought to my attention that my photography may have a place in commerce. I have started making cards (for non-commercial reasons) using my pics and I thought it would be fitting to have a name to place on the back of the cards. Something creative and catchy :-)
The top contenders at the moment are: Glimtphotography and Lumisensephoto and See or Be Seen.
If you have a suggestion or two or three I would love to hear them.
• Cap brought me home some tulips yesterday. Move over Iris, there's a new flower in town. These tulips had my name all over them.
3 comments:
I'm looking forward to reading more of your poetry. My gift was beautiful!
I don't know if you were still thinking of having the name for your photography connect to your "musings of a manatee" but "visions of a manatee" came to mind.
I *love* that. Thank you! Adding it to the sack o'ideas :-)
...and thank you. I am glad you liked the poem :-)
Post a Comment