First made his second cake ever tonight. He was inspired to do something "special" because we celebrated Kinder's first swim class with a "Kinder's choice" dinner (pizza and hotdogs) and he was bummed because he didn't get his usual sushi.
(I will admit here this was due in part to light a fire under his butt about learning how to swim, but also in part to limited funds it being the night before pay day.)
He whined for awhile and went from trying to get sushi to going to the bookstore so he could get a Mr. Men book with some money he had saved. By the time we were getting into the car in the supermarket parking lot, he was saying that having his seatbelt buckled by someone would be something "special" enough :-)
Well, he decided to whip up a celebratory cake once we were home.
(I will admit here that I was slightly exasperated that he set about pulling his ingredients and bowls and utensils out and then actually measuring (eyeballing would be the more apt term), pouring and mixing, on the kitchen table while I was making and putting dinner, also on the kitchen table. We were working around each other in a very small space :-)
The ingredients: chocolate chips, brown sugar, peanut butter, soy butter, water, salt, pepper, sugar, rice milk, brown rice flour, tapioca flour, garfava (garbanzo and fava bean mix) flour, baking soda, baking powder, xanthan gum, honey...I think that was everything.
He chose a glass loaf pan and I chose 350ยบ. It baked for an hour at least, maybe a bit longer.
It looked great, smelled beany, and according to First, had a "unique flavor". Color me impressed!
P.S. If you look at the fridge magnets in the background of some of these photos, you will see a recent work of art titled, "Sumo and Wiggles". I love this and have been wanting to photograph it for awhile. Bonus!
5 comments:
Quite impressive. On another note, I have been admiring your self portrait as your official blog photo. I can't now recall if this was always your picture, or if it is suddenly new, but in any case, it has caught my eye as a particularly lovely...no beautiful...photo of you.
sending love,
B
Thank you!
It's the Dragon's Way, baby, all the way...
perhaps the next iron chef in the family?? :)
Was this a recipe, or did First make it up as he went along?
He made it up as he went along. Yeah, the next Iron Chef :-)
Post a Comment