Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Telling time

Finally sat down with First for a few minutes to "work" on telling time. What this means is that instead of talking about how we can tell time on the fly, as the (plentiful) opportunities have arose over the past couple of months, I pulled out the Kumon book about telling time and we sat down at the table and flipped through it together.

I'm a sucker for these books. They're Japanese and appeal to a certain personal aesthetic. Something about the colors and quality of illustration. I usually pick them up at Barnes and Noble (they're more expensive than your run-of-the-mill workbooks, but when has that ever stopped me...I am willing to pay for quality).

We got to telling time to ten past the hour (noting the "minute" ticks on the clock face and how every time the minute was pointing to the number 1 it was five past the hour) when First stated that he was bored so we broke till next time. Kinder was chomping at the bit and wanted to write numbers in a fill-in-the-numbers chart from 1-60. The first chart I just sat back and let him go. During the second chart, I started gently correcting him (start forming the numbers from top to bottom, forming the number four by lifting the pencil rather than doing it etch-a-sketch style, using a pencil with a nicely sharpened point, etc.) Within a few minutes he was throwing himself on his bed yowling for me to stop.

Interesting, interesting.

No comments: