A focus for the first few months of the "school year" will be record keeping/documentation and archiving. As intuitive a person as I am, I want some sort of organized result of the kids' (and my) work. I trust myself (and Cap and the kids) completely in this endeavour of home learning, but I want to make sure that I have something to "show" for it on the other side. This will be useful for later schooling if the kids and/or we ever decide to go that route, as well as, for concerned family and friends. Most of us are primarily visual learners and having that visual can truly help to process and understand what it is we are being told/hearing.
I am thinking of large cardboard portfolios to collect the kids' 2D artwork for the year (browsing an art supply store...dangerous!) And some sort of binder system for various papers. Taking pictures and posting to the blog will also serve as documentation.
Since I am utilizing a bottom up approach, I'll be figuring out much as I go along. This is in line with my own learning style which is very kinesthetic. I learn by doing. It makes it harder to reign in the feelings of chaos that I sometimes feel. For, how can I bring about order when I don't yet know what I'm dealing with?
It is also the opposite of an institutional approach, which tends to be top down. Create goals and objectives (align them to state standards and standardized tests) and then disseminate the necessary information in the form of specific, structured, planned lessons. It is still sometimes hard for me to unharness my mind from this type of thinking having worked in schools as a teacher.
But, I don't have to answer to the state. And I don't have to "teach to the middle". The fact of the matter is, right now I have to go and get ready to drop the kids off at Danielle's and head out to my doctor's appt.
No comments:
Post a Comment