Tuesday, August 07, 2007

South Africa/Stomp the Yard

Yesterday I faced a formidable pile of laundry which really needed to be folded in order to make the place halfway presentable for Danielle, Owen and Lukas. They are, frankly, used to the cluttered nature of our home and so halfway was really good enough :-)

The problem was that my shoulder prevents me from doing most things that require the use of two hands (my range of motion on the left side is limited to somewhere around elbow level). So in order to distract myself, I turned on the tv in the middle of the afternoon, something I haven't done for myself since having tv sentient kids.

I watched a show, I think it was called Globe Trekker, on a local PBS station. South Africa was being highlighted. Between my parents impending visit there (they leave Japan next week) and Anna's trip there in January, my interest in SA has increased as of late. Something I really liked about the show was that the two correspondents were themselves from South Africa.

Then last night I watched Stomp The Yard. Anna had left it behind for me to watch from a collection of contemporary films about blackness that she was viewing for potential teaching material (I'd seen Rize already and decided to pass on White Chicks). The "stomping" or line stepping in the movie (an artform performed and practiced by fraternities and sororities at African-American colleges around the country [an offshoot of a larger movement of dance]), had some notable similarities to the communicative movements/stomping that diamond miners in South Africa were demonstrating in the travel doc I had watched earlier in the day.

The miner stomping reminds me of hollering. So interesting how different parts of the body have been employed by cultures across the world for similar purposes/functions. And that had I not happened to catch Globe Trekker, I wouldn't have had this connective and contextualizing piece of information which expanded my viewing of Stomp The Yard in a critically meaningful way.

A movie we saw recently, Linda Linda Linda, was a Japanese movie set during the days of a high school festival (bunkasai). Bunkasai are a big deal in Japanese school culture and there really is no equivalent here in the States. The gist of the story is that a band comprised of girls needs a new singer last minute and an exchange student from Korea is randomly recruited. Cap loved it. I did too, but wondered what it would be like for someone completely unfamiliar with the culture and language of Japan to experience the movie.

The shoulder is starting to feel better and better with each new day. My appt with the orthopedist is in a few hours.

My breakfast of choice lately has been the Whole Foods brand organic granola with fruit and nuts. And, we have switched from soy milk to rice and almond milk. First and Cap are resisting the barley challenge (Rice Dream has a tiny bit of barley in it). Pacific Foods has started an unsweetened, organic almond milk line---yippeee! In the back of my mind I think about making my own granola and milks, but for now, it stays on the back burner.

I pulled out my two John Holt books yesterday (Teach Your Own and Instead Of Education). I want to read through them and possibly pick up Why Children Fail. I think for First a more unschooling approach is going to be the way to go this year (meaning more unschooling than Waldorf---last year was essentially an unschooled year for him). But, when I think of Kinder, I see him loving a very Waldorf Kindergarten "curriculum". More on this soon...

No comments: