Friday, November 30, 2012

Friendly inspiration/room to breathe


Kelly recently inspired me two ways:

She walked into our apartment the other day and exclaimed, "it looks so good in here!"  Very enthusiastic and heartfelt.  My immediate internal reaction was to feel a sham.  How could I receive such positive sentiment when I so often have negative niggling at me when it comes to cleaning and decluttering?  It was a good reminder to, first of all, accept joy whenever possible.

She mentioned that she is finding peace by keeping small spaces tidy and working from there.  This morning I have been sluggish of body and jammed of mind.  I started small with no regard for what would happen next.  And, yes, despite a laundry list of cleaning/decluttering tasks yet to be done in this room, the room we spend the most time in, the room we socialize in, the "big room", if you will...to have small spaces within the room "straightened" does bring with it some peace.

Thanks, friend.

Peace.

3 comments:

Jamie said...

This space looks really tidy and comfy!

Sometimes you just need to declutter the mind.

shirley said...

:-) xo

Kelly said...

Well, what a sweet circle we have going - I have a genuine and spontaneous response to the feel of your space (due, in no small part, to all of the time and effort you all have put in over the last year of de-cluttering), which in turn, motivates you in positive ways. Sweet stuff! You are not a sham, by the way. You are honest, and you are living a full life. I feel I can be doing so much more, in terms of de-cluttering and organizing, and maintaining systems, but the fact is, I often have to choose between that and doing something else, something that likely matters a whole lot more than a tidy room. So I keep my tidying to times when it flows with what the girls are doing. As long as I use those brief times well, I find I can bring my bottom line up, even if just a little. It's enough. Before I know it, I will have more time than I'll know what to do with. I don't want to spend that time wishing I'd cleaned less and lived more.

De nada :-)