Tuesday, August 07, 2012

mass fun in Mass

We zipped up to the Motherland for a long weekend.  It was a very fun and full three days.  A great visit.  I didn't take photos for swaths of time so don't have a good cross section of visuals.

Saturday morning we drove straight to Kingston and visited with Olivia, Will and Karen.  The time was incredibly short, unfortunately.  We then dropped the kids off with Amy and hightailed it into JP.  We met friends (including Ebs and Eleanor) for a delicious Indian dinner.  Then it was onto the Pavilion for a Josh Ritter and Brandi Carlile double bill.  Josh Ritter was on my musical bucket list and, boy, he did not disappoint.  The dude had a smile on his face mile-wide all night.  He was *so* happy and into it.  Brandi Carlile was solid.  She's got a lot of charisma and was really cool.  We left her set early because it was getting late and I had a feeling Gem would be waiting up for us.  Oh, and, this was the first concert I've ever been to where I eschewed a decent selection of concert t-shirts for an autographed concert book.





Sunday morning Mummu came over for coffee and a visit.  We dropped her off back home (where I gasped at her gorgeous hydrangeas) and headed out to Fenway for a day game.  The game was the best we've been to yet.  It was plenty hot and fairly muggy, but there was a semi-regular breeze blowing and we were under the upper deck.  The first few innings were a pitcher's duel, but then the Sox started getting hits including a homerun by my current favorite player, Adrian Gonalez.  We were psyched to try the gluten-free Fenway Franks and thrilled to find them delicious!  (Will Cap and I ever get used to the sight of Gem eating something new-to-him-because-there-is-a-gluten-free-version?  Seeing him eat something as iconic and typical as a Fenway Frank made our hearts sing.)  After six innings in terrific seats, we made our way out of the park snapping a few pics.  It was a great afternoon.












After the game we made our way back to base camp where cousins and auntie and Jamie were waiting.  We enjoyed a quintessential summer meal al fresco on the new patio which I kind of can't believe I didn't photograph.  It was amazing.

Monday morning the kids stayed home with their cousins and Jay (who had been toiling at the hospital all weekend) and Cap and I took Mummu out to run errands.  It was productive and fun.  Jay and the kids met us for lunch where there was much oohing and aahing of synchronized swimming as we munched on Chinese and Japanese fare.  Afterward, Cap took the kidlets to the comic book store and Jay and I foraged for dinner (lobster and scallops).  After another dinner on the patio, we packed up and headed home.  The kids discovered the center arm rest with a pillow on top makes for happy resting.



Peace and love.

2 comments:

Susan Gurry said...

A quintessential New England weekend! Great to see GF options at Fenway....I've never heard Brandi Carlisle but I saw Josh Ritter last year, and it occurred to me that he was a young Springsteen...his energy, his lyrics, his commitment to the performance....I really loved him. Sorry I missed you at dinner; my ride was hot and hilly...but (as opposed to last year when it rained the entire time) I could see where I was going! And I raised a lot of money!

shirley said...

Hope to connect next time...glad the ride was more visible and that you raised so much money! xo