I am pooped.
This morning I had the pleasure of farmer's market-ing and then Whole Foods-ing with Kelly.
The rest of the day:
I searched for a strawberry cake recipe. (We don't do any baking with gluten in our kitchen.) I don't know why I got it in my head that I wanted to make a strawberry cake, but I did.
I "processed" the still good amount of strawberries we had left. My cake, Gem's strawberry lemonade, Sag's "snack" stash...the rest were hulled and put in the freezer.
If the cake comes out well, I will post a pic and the recipe I used. The batter smelled amazing and, in a rare move, I licked some of it. 'Twas yummy.
The recipe calls for refrigerating the cake (apparently it is very moist...it was very soft when I transferred it, cooled, to a plate) and eating it the next day. The kids and I were invited to a cook out tomorrow evening so, fingers crossed, I'll bring the cake for dessert.
What am I worried about? The frosting. Making the frosting (a different recipe) was frustrating. I can't get the hang of arrowroot flour and so I rarely use it, so then when I do try using it again, I have forgotten that I don't get it...
The frosting is supposed to sit in the fridge for an hour or two to solidify. I have been afraid to peek...it's at the 90-minute mark as I type.
Making a commitment to use/eat all that the CSA has to offer takes some work. I would have been so happy to sit my sleep-deprived butt down and watch a movie or something, but every time I opened the fridge door for something, my eye kept being drawn to the glass container with what I thought was the spinach I cooked up earlier this week (which had remained untouched since bring placed in said container).
So once all the cake- and frosting-making accoutrement was washed and tidied...and Gem was fed (Sag is subsisting mostly on a diet of videos/video games today)...and I enjoyed toast with ricotta cheese (from Anthony's pastured cows) and homemade jam...
I pulled out the container and a carton of eggs and looked up frittatas in Nom Nom Paleo's iPad cooking app. The container contained, not spinach, but the mixed sautéed greens!
The frittata was beyond easy to make and quick because I was using an already cooked/prepped filling.
I was in an herby mood so I loaded the frittata with dried dill and thyme. Yum.
Off to sample the frittata and gaze at some frosting. If the frosting worked, I may frost the cake tonight...
Peace and love.




No comments:
Post a Comment