nikujaga.
Nikujaga for dinner tonight. Nikujaga is, literally, a contraction of "meat and potatoes". This is classic Japanese comfort food. The Japanese home cooking I ate growing up equaled "Mom" for a long time for me. It never occurred to me that I could make it and it could be good.
There are many things that I have yet to try my hand at. But, nikujaga entered my repertoire once the kids were old enough to appreciate it, too. I don't make it often because Cap doesn't red meat. Also, the Japanese supermarket where I can find meat sliced this thinly is far away.
But, lo and behold: Cap is away, I recently stocked up on Berkshire pork belly trimmings (a cheaper way to consume great quality meat) sliced nice and thin at Mitsuwa, and my hemoglobin depleted body is ready for a bit of meat (I've been off meat and dairy for a week and will go back after this meal!)
So nikujaga it is. Yum.
2 comments:
I don't eat red meat either but it looks good. I bet I could substitute pork instead.
Mmmmmm ...care to share the technique? It looks like it would be fairly simple, and something we'd love here.
You and your food porn photos get me every time lol!
Post a Comment