Saturday, April 18, 2009

Homemade honey



This morning, after qi gong and maple syrup-scented Gem kisses, I wanted walnuts with honey. Ahh, a shift away from wanting eggs. I knew it was time to crack open the precious jar of Plympton honey harvested by Pops and Evie earlier this spring.

The anticipation built deliciously as the Goldberg Variations moved me along in the kitchen. Emptying the dishwasher, vessels and utensils from the night before back in its place, the electric kettle performing its duties in shifts: first tea for the kids, then tea for me, a sweep of the floor, and then...

Blue and white Japanese bowl from my aunt containing walnuts likely grown in the Central Valley of the Golden State, drizzled with honey from the homestead. Satisfying and life-giving in so many ways. I am grateful.

I look up and there smiling at me is my Easter Cheerilie, colored and bestowed on me with reverence from Olivia. That's love right there.

2 comments:

Julie_c said...

Mmmmm honey. Do Jake and Evie keep bees? I didn't know that.

shirley said...

They did, but the swarm left. somewhat mysteriously. Jake's going to try again next year.