Sunday, December 09, 2007

A picture worth all the words

I wish I had one.

Karen, Brent and the kids came down for the weekend. Karen came to see Vinny with me on Friday, after a pot of tea at the wonderful fair trade tea salon. Kinder just blows me away in drumming class. We had cake and ice cream for Brent's birthday and reveled in the kids' peals of laughter during AFV. On Saturday, we all drove into town and Karen and Will went to see Alvin Ailey. Then we merged into the mass of humanity surrounding the tree in Rockefeller Center. We couldn't even bear getting close enough to watch the skaters. We perused the soon-to-be defunct original Kinokuniya store drawn in by the 1/2 price books. By the time we came out, the tree was differently luminous because dark had fallen. My mom treated us to Thai food from downstairs and it was yummy. This morning, an unexpectedly early departure as First is sick with a GI bug.

Went to a counselor this weekend and though the feeling of absolute...traction....had begun to subside beforehand, it was still quite helpful to dislodge some stuff. Relief and clarity feel good.

The sun is unbelievably low. I am much more aware of it this year. Last year there was excitement about being back in the northeast for the holidays which may have buoyed me.

This year there is a starkness to the red numbers that look back at me when I close my eyelids. I'd decided no holiday cards this year, but am feeling guilty about it now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shirley,

Wondering what you went to a counselor about - no feeling guilty about holiday cards; I haven't sent them in years, wondering about why people do so.... yes, the sun is very low and the weather is very lousy, as bad as a Syracuse winter... really hard to keep positive and keep above it.

Love,

Sue

Julie_c said...

Relief and clarity DO feel good. I hope you found some of both.

Please don't feel guilty about holiday cards. We all know you love us!

One woman can only do so much. Do your best and let the rest go. It's easier said than done - believe me I know.

:)

shirley said...

Thanks guys :-)