Friday, November 30, 2007

Latkes and dead batteries

We woke up past 7:00 and had a quiet day. The kids helped me make latkes for lunch and then they each ate five! Lukas came over around 3:00 (Silke and Anna are off to a workshop this weekend) and then we discovered that the car wouldn't start when it was time for drumming class.

Danielle saved the day. We walked to her house, dropped First off to play and then I drove Lukas and Kinder to class. We picked up sushi and pizza and then dropped the car off and picked up First. It felt great to be out in the cold, fresh air in the dark.

There's something very Ezra Jack Keats in the way the kids' bodies move in and out of light and dark while they play and run outside at night. I'm into it.

I've decreed tomorrow a screen-free day. Kinder thinks he's going to be bored to death. It's been good to slow down this week, but I want to slow it down even more. With the screens on, we tend to spend chunks of time staring at a screen instead of doing things with each other.

Danielle will come by in the morn with her jumper cables and we'll see if we can get the car running.

2 comments:

jet said...

I'm all about slowing things down. Especially, at this time of the season. I had the nephews over this weekend. We had the TV on more as background noise while we played cribbage and Sorry. Since the boys are older we played an adult variation of Sorry. The directions said to pass out 5 cards to each player. Each person can see their cards and use them more strategically on their turn. If you can't get out you throw one of your cards away and pick another. It was nice to take out an old game and play it as if new. I'm thinking this could work for other games we no longer play.

shirley said...

Sounds good.

xoxo