Saturday, November 17, 2007

Drained but in a good way

Must. Go. To. Bed.

Mike D. is here for a visit which has been wonderful. Cap picked him up around 3:00 this morning (flight was delayed) and Mike surprised me, my bedhead and all, by waking around 8:00 (5:00 CA time).

He showered us with gifts and the kids set about building right away with their new construction sets. Me, I got a big blue box from Tiffany with a lovely yellow teapot and matching sugar bowl and cream pitcher. My bling itch was majorly satisfied :-)

We went out for breakfast at a local diner, with a stop to see Vinny for my traditional chinese herbs. By the time we got home it was time to get ready for our first family concert at our local performing arts center. The kids were none too happy about having to pause their building again.

The concert was a lot of fun, appropriately interactive, and our seats were great, first row of the first balcony. And it was cool to see Cass' brother, who is the concert master!

We got home and ate, Mike was craving pizza as most northeast expats do when they return to the home region and he and I indulged in a pepperoni and garlic pizza. Yum.

Cap and Mike then took off for coffee and dessert before heading back to the performing arts center for an evening classical concert that we had tix for (the first of a Saturday night subscription).

The kids watched an ep of AFV for movie night while I began prep for Kinder's party tomorrow (and talked to Wendy for the first time in ages). After their show was over, First really wanted to help me, as he has been doing more of lately.

He neatened up the couch draping the throw against the back of it and arranging the cushions just so. He cut the hemp laces for the necklace making area while I measured them out. He moved the little chairs and then sprayed and wiped down the little table which we arranged to create the face and hand painting area.

He has been changing again and seeming older. Kinder, too.

They went to bed around 9:00 and then I made the potato for the alternative hot potato game that we played at Lucia's party. It took way more paper than I had anticipated and took a really long time to make! Holly, I had no idea.... In this version of the game, when the music stops, whoever is holding the potato gets to unwrap a layer of it and receive the treat that appears. Then they leave the circle. The game continues until the last child has unwrapped their layer finding a treat.

I tried in vain to locate Kinder's birthday cd song list that we had compiled together yesterday, but I think it may have gotten accidentally recycled. Unfortunately, this means that Cap will not be able to burn the cds and printout the covers tonight. C'est la vie.

The eggs are boiled and in the fridge (for deviled eggs), the brown rice is cooked and warm in the rice cooker (for Sri Wasano's Infamous Rice Salad from the original Moosewood cookbook), the bathroom all sparkly, the living room set up with the activity areas (a third activity will be drawing and coloring your own puzzle), and I am headed to bed.

I will awake at 6:00 and bake the cake, make the rice salad so it can marinate and chill for a few hours and make the deviled eggs and frosting, too.

I need the early start because Cap will be out tomorrow morning driving Mike to the airport (he'll be flying to Beantown to see his sister) and gone for at least two hours.

I'd like to have some time in the morning to straighten out the kids' room, too.

No pictures of Mike and the kids, the camera batteries needed to be recharged...

No comments: