Thursday, May 12, 2011

Game ball

The coaches on the kids' baseball team gives out game balls at the end of the game.  Usually three.  I don't know if they do this after every game, or just the ones where the team was victorious (the Thunder are undefeated).

I've been wondering how my kids were going to receive game balls.  They are perfect as they are, but they are not shining stars when it comes to baseball.  Their greatest strength thus far has been their ability to get on base by walking.  (The other great strength being their ability to be very much in the moment about this whole experience and enjoying it.)

Gem received his first game ball last night,  He was absolutely thrilled and Sag was a tiny bit jealous.  Turns out, getting on base is an important skill.  Because then you can be the game-winning run coming across the plate in an exciting walk-off single with the bases loaded and two outs (right after your brother was hit by a pitch!)


I don't think I will ever forget the look of pure wonder, joy and pride on his face.  I'm glad I didn't have my camera...my eyes took in everything I needed in that moment.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

Awwww, that's so sweet :-D