Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Barcelona :: chapter 1

I hesitate to write because words just seem...no, I am incapable of using words...to confidently or competently express the incredible flow...the outpouring and rushing in...of emotion, imagery, connection, flavor, color, sound...everything that Barcelona was.

I am in a haze of jet lag, too.

I will begin with some photos.  And some words.  Know that it was amazing and that I highly recommend a visit if you can swing it.  Part of me was stunned that I hadn't made it there before...it felt so vital...but a bigger part of me knew that I was there at just the right time and that I got out of the experience what I did because of who I am now.

Thanks for stopping by...I am happy to reconnect.

I flew from Newark to Madrid.  During my three hour layover there I refueled with a bocadillo of tortilla patata (Spanish omelette with potato).  I thought of Julia who once told me about these traditional Spanish sandwiches.  She also taught me how to make tortilla patata.  This was the best airport food I've ever had :-)  I was bummed that the airport did not have free wifi.  As it turned out, I would not find "free" wifi anywhere during my travels.

The light in Barcelona was bright and powerful.  In the 12 days we were there, it only rained once, in the evening.  At mid-day the light bore down on us hot and white, but as the sun began to set around 8 o'clock the breezes (always prevalent) became cooler and the evening cast its cooler shades of purple and charcoal.  Our apartment had these beautiful and very functional wooden shutters.  Wonderful design and engineering abounded in Barcelona.  These shutters were fitted with cast iron pulleys and hooks to close up tight at night.  The apartment was like a cave once it was shuttered up.  We still could hear street noise (this is a city that makes noise), but it was dark.

The whole apartment had tiled floor.  I've always thought myself a hard wood floor kind of gal, but I can get behind this tile floor thing.  Cool (literally) and organic in its own way.  Plastic suffers when dropped on this kind of tile though.  Cracked the back of my iPhone it did.


One more shot from the apartment.  These were the light switches.  So nifty!  Loved them.  They made me happy every time I turned them.









Spain had some elections a couple of days before we left.  In the days leading up to the elections we saw a number of peaceful, passionate, joyful demonstrators expressing their dissension against budget cuts to social services and programs.  These shots were taken on three different occasions.  Only the last one seemed likely to result in arrests (they were standing in the middle of the street blocking traffic).  It was inspiring to see so many folks gathering in unity and protest.

These El Bicing bikes could be seen all around town.  Clearly a system that is being used and one that facilitates Barcelonans being kinder to Mother Earth.  We walked a lot during our stay.  A few miles most days.  We used the city's extensive Metro system only occasionally.  We didn't rent bikes (Bicing is available only to Barcelona residents) but if I lived there I would!

There are many more pictures...off to hang with the kids and ride out this jet lag.  More to come soon.

6 comments:

JET said...

Welcome home!! So happy you had a wonderful trip. Love these photos. The light seems so inviting, especially when we hardly saw the sun the whole time you were gone.

shirley said...

Thanks Jamie! Yeah, a number of the boys' baseball games were canceled due to rain/muddy field conditions.

Kelly said...

Welcome home, traveler! The trip sounds like it was medicinal. I'm looking forward to hearing of it's effect - maybe even over a cup of tea :-)

Glad to have you back on your home soil <3

shirley said...

Hey sweet friend...wow, a cup of tea with you would be a dream come true :-) We'll be away this weekend, let's pick a time next week? Saw Dr. V yesterday and we talked about how neither of us had seen you in awhile...

Thank you. The trip was, as you say, medicinal. My brother saw some pics of me on FB and shot me a message saying it was good to see me with my smile back... Stopped me in my tracks...

Shannon said...

Yay! You're back! It sounds like you had a great time :D

shirley said...

Hey Shan...I did have a great time, thank you :-)