Saturday, June 16, 2007

Melinda doolittle

I bought a Whitney Houston song, "I Believe In You And Me", off of iTunes the other day (a rare occurrence but it was fun to do some shopping this way, I can see this becoming more of a habit).

I watched American Idol for the first time this season. One week, the judges and producers of the show chose songs for the contestants to sing. Apparently, the idea was to throw Melinda Doolittle a curve ball by assigning her a Whitney tune. Houston is supposedly so technically brilliant, vocally, that most folks on Idol maintain a secure distance from her songs.

Melinda sang this song and MOVED me. The Whitney version, which I bought to put on my 2007 comp isn't the same. I'll have to keep my eye on the Idol website to see if I can buy Melinda's version.

Other tunes bought that day:

Phantom Limb by The Shins
Joyful Sign by Girlyman
The Picture by Son Volt
Champagne Supernova by Matt Pond PA

And then two days later:

You're Nobody Till Somebody Loves You by Dean Martin
Box Of Rain by Grateful Dead
Rhode Island Is Famous For You by Erin McKeown
Shine On by Rani Arbo and Daisy Mayhem

3 comments:

David Kuznick said...

Box of Rain is wonderful. I saw Phil Lesh last year and he was fabulous. Much better than RatDog (Bob Weir's band).

shirley said...

Box of Rain was used in an episode of Freaks and Geeks that I watched recently. It was a beautiful backdrop to a lovely scene. I haven't had much exposure to the Dead, but it was the first time I felt a connection to one of their songs.

David Kuznick said...

I've still never seen Freaks & Geeks, but I know I should. It took me a LONG time to appreciate the Dead, but especially live, they were amazing when they were on.