We joined our local CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) and I am excited.
Nestled amongst the first week's veggies were something I had never seen before: (garlic) scapes. Danielle was over and we pondered them briefly before moving on to oohing and ahhing the sprigs of oregano, the radishes and the three varieties of lettuce (she took home the red leaf).
Here's a link to someone's blog that has pictures of scapes. We are digital camera-less until Monday when Cap returns from Japan.
http://yesyellocello.blogspot.com/2004/06/june-scapes.html
I did some googling last night and discovered a recipe for garlic scape pesto. I made some this afternoon minus the Parmesan cheese. It looks fantastic, and would taste it too, had I not dumped too much salt in there. Ach, well, what are you going to do. I'm still going to eat it...sparingly.
Last night I made a salad with the romaine lettuce from the farm, an avocado, and a lemony dressing. I tossed on some raw, chopped scape and it was wonderful. I got the recipe off the Mothering website the other day.
I love the feelings of connectivity and satisfaction I get knowing this food is so fresh. It was grown and tended to by a local farmer, dug out of the ground and put on the back of his truck, delivered to my neighborhood the very same day (give or take a day?), and ends up in my belly as early as that night. I love it.
I also love being nudged into being better about using the ingredients I have to prepare our meals. Purple Dragon (a national co-op that has a number of local "pods"---we belonged to one from fall to spring and will most likely rejoin once our local harvesting season is over) did this too, but only to a certain extent. I still found myself tossing produce that had been sitting in the fridge too long (they do drop-offs once every two weeks instead of every week).
I am completely inspired by our access to this local, organic, seasonal produce.
2 comments:
I'm so glad you're enjoying the CSA! We stopped by the farmers' market today and said hello to Farmer John and explained that we're moving and that's why we didn't sign up this season. Nick and I admired the garlic scapes but didn't buy any because we were without our wallets - on our way to the park to throw the frisbee around. So I was a little envious when I read your post... Enjoy!
Garlic scape pesto on crackers, garlic scape pesto with cold chicken and mayo, garlic scape pesto mixed in with my spaghetti, garlic scape pesto in my eggs...I cannot get enough of it I love it so much! The color of the pesto is amazing.
If I have any left next time I see you, I will feed you some :-)
Post a Comment