Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Play

Kinder has been really into K-nex. He builds cars, machines, gadgets, and structures, some from exposure to stuff from "real" life, some drawn from his imagination. He usually spends 30-60 minutes across a day playing with these.

First has been into playing store. He usually is the proprietor of a comic book store, although his wares usually include dvds and computer games, too. He takes a lot of care to create his displays and then invites me to come and buy. He enjoys figuring out change for me.

Today Kinder made a store for the first time. First often builds with K-nex, too. There is overlap.

Today, together, they did some "experiments" at the bathroom sink (a regular activity for Kinder, but not for First). Mostly this seemed to involve slathering one of their baby dolls with toothpaste, soap and Aquaphor. After they had their way with him, they gave him a bath in the tub. Incidentally, soap, toothpaste and Aquaphor may be a magical solution to a semi-clogged sink. We'll see how the sink does, but it seems to be draining quicker.

After lunch they treated me to a puppet show. It was about three old ladies rolling down a hill. Again, an elaborate set-up was involved with attention to detail and the use of toys from many different categories. I didn't understand most of it, but enjoyed it immensely. First rarely "performs" for us and he flew through his rendition of this story. He explained later that part of it was inspired by an "Over The Hedge" preview he saw somewhere (which I missed).

Then, it was onto restaurant play. They created "Nauna's" and invited me to come in for a meal. Nauna's is the name of a local pizzeria/restaurant. The debate over how to pronounce the name continued as Kinder called it "nawnas" and First called it "nanas". I had some Eggplant Mash, Strawberry Dumplings, Hot Dog Pizza and Baby Food Pizza. For dessert I had white chocolate and Fruit Punch Dumplings.

In between play I've been responding to student e-mails, paying bills online, transferring credit card balances to a new 0% APR credit card, doing laundry, feeding, cleaning, figuring out our Friday plans (I'm taking the kids into NYC to see my parents) and baking French bread for dinner.

Soon I need to help them clean up so we can be ready to play with Lukas if he's up for it after his long day at school.

No comments: