Yesterday sucked.
But, I'm not going to get into it now. I am starting to feel like a broken record lately. Just ask my sister who unforutnately has been getting the brunt of my venting, I fear.
Last night, Cap came home around 7:30, the kids were in bed (though First came out periodically unable to fall asleep), and I was agitated, almost paralyzed. Luckily, I was able to spit out my problems. Cap is a great problem solver. His objective eye, caring soul and giving heart have helped me repeatedly over the last weeks.
This morning, I whipped up a new schedule and discussed it with the kids after our walk. I asked for their input for certain sections. I could see that, especially for First, things were clearer to him in terms of what the expectations were in terms of a rhythm that each day would have. Kinder lost interest/couldn't keep up with too much of the details.
I wish I could upload it here...maybe I can cut and paste it. Nope, it gets all wibbly AND you don't get the nice table effect. I love making tables.
Here's the gist:
• Morning Routine
• Breakfast
• House Work
• Walk
• Circle
• School Work
• Snack
• School Work
• Read Aloud
• Lunch
• Quiet Time
• School Work
• Snack
• Outdoor Play
• Quiet/Indoor Play
• Clean Up
• Dinner
• Games/Bath
• Night Routine
On Mondays and Fridays we will have regular outings with our local homeschoolers group: "gecho" (Greater Essex County homeschoolers organization).
On Mondays we will join a Fiber Arts Circle that rotates through people's homes three Mondays a month. Parents and kids can work on knitting and the such, kids can also play. One Monday a month is the gathering at the library. This was a bit of a bust last time we went. The room was crowded and pretty nosiy. The kids were soon overwhelmed and we ended up in the Children's library upstairs.
On Fridays, folks gather at a park in Montclair for outdoor play. Our Fridays have been pretty loose, but Cap and I tightened up our schedules last night which will allow me to take the kids to the park regularly.
I have definitely been noticing our lack of time with other kids. Part of it has been trying to tame the chaos, but part of it is my own shyness. So, it's time to change that. It occurred to me a few days ago that we need to meet some more kids because Kinder's birthday is in November and we need to have friends to invite!
I'm hoping that we might have a regular, weekly playdate with Owen and Lukas. Like we did with Bennett and Malachi. We'll see.
The kids chose house work tasks to assign to certain days and they helped me draw up a list of snacks and we assigned those to days too, for the morning snack. I also mapped out breakfasts for the weekdays. This was something I did last year, before we were homeschooling and it helped a lot not to have to think of what to make at a given mealtime.
During Quiet Time, I will be doing yoga, some aerobic exercise and stretching. I caught sight of myself in a picture that Dave, Jodie's boyfriend took at our house last weekend when Jay and Lily were visiting and nearly had a heart attack. It was one of those freakish angles, but oh my goodness, it was a wake up call. That and the fact that I get out of breath climbing up a flight of stairs.
I'm changing the old diet, too. It's so hard, last night when I was relating my stress to Cap, I was dying for chocolate, something sweet and stimulating. I settled for a cup of peppermint tea with honey, which ended up being great (our talking really helped, too).
I'm pushing First's bedtime back to 7:30. Kinder's will stay at 7:00 (bearing in mind that day light savings will be coming to an end in less than a month). First is ready for recognition that he is older. We had played around with shifting his bedtime while still in Sac, but it fell by the wayside. They both sleep well, but are not getting eleven hours consistently.
First is also feeling the effects of always being with Kinder. He and I talked about it before he finally fell asleep last night, tearily. He really wants his own room. I suggested we could rig a sheet to create a wall for his bottom bunk. He said Sandy had mentioned something similar. Cap and I have talked about wanting to have some one kid only time with them. We need to revisit this.
I'll end with a highlight. Yesterday, recorder time went horribly. First was resistant to trying and just wanting to blow "as hard as he could". I abandoned it and was wondering if we should drop recorder till January, whether it was a fine motor issue, whether it was a performance anxiety issue, whether I was being too unsturctured and exploratory and what he needed was more structure, etc.
Well, today, I pushed through my own doubts and we had recorder time and it went well! He was able to cover all the holes with his fingers and he was willing and motivated to try the first few notes of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star". It was very sweet and fun (maybe not auditorily recognizable yet...)
1 comment:
You are doing two full time jobs and one part time job. It's not a surprise that there aren't enough hours in the day. I only have one job and I can't even be bothered to feed the cat when I get home!
Post a Comment