Friday, June 02, 2006

Active planning grinds to a halt

Real life has taken over in a major way (six weeks from tomorrow we leave!, we don't have a place to live!, Kinder turns six a week from tomorrow!, we have so much stuff!, we will accrue more debt by moving!) and I have been watching a lot of movies at night. Esacpe, escape.

Homeschooling ideas floating in my consciousness:

• Take a trip to Smart and Final to check out their selection of wholesale kitchen items: ie. "washing sticks", glass juicer with cup.

• Now that Cap is open to delaying the start of first grade for Kinder, we need to decide what we're going to do so that I can plan accordingly.

• Julia dropped off some resources about temperaments in children and education. I need to flip through them. I just double checked. I already have the one that I think she liked: Roy Wilkenson's The Temperaments in Education. The other one is Children and Their Temperaments by Marieke Anschütz.

• Doing a Kindergarten year with Pre and Kinder (Kinder 1 and Kinder 2) would be a nice way to start homeschooling, for me. Less complex.

• T-shirts! On one of my lists, someone shared that she makes each of her children a "homeschool" t-shirt through Café Press using clip art images. Each child chooses a name for the school year and the shirt represents the school year. I liked that idea. Their school has a name too, but is not on the t-shirt. Every year she makes them a new shirt.

• Pre's last day of preschool is next Thursday, Kinder's last day is the Thursday after that. We'll have about four weeks together before we leave for NYC. I could consider establishing some rhythm...I'd been thinking of just throwing the towel in to chaos. We haven't used our painting boards yet! We should paint.

• Thinking of buying a kinder lyre. A Waldorf thing---for puppet shows, quiet times, to instill peacefulness...
http://www.novanatural.com/product.phtml?pr=4783&sec=433

• Thinking of giving Kinder the sword he's expressed a desire for in the fall instead of for his birthday. There's a Waldorf celebration in the fall, Michaelmas, which is all about bravely and resolutely bringing light into darkness and slaying the dragons that threaten to undermine us. Seems like an opportune time to "knight" him. He has already said he wants a metal one, but alas for him, it will be wooden.

• Saw some Main Lesson Books at Kinder's school today and am reconsidering using them for first grade. I'd decided against it thinking that we could make our own, which many homeschoolers do. But, seeing them, so simple, so clearly unlike any other paper/notebook the kids have ever seen/used, they appealed to a certain aesthetic and methodology in me.

No comments: