Friday, May 12, 2006

Hungry

Kinder has been home with a viral thing the last two days, normally, days in which I have the morning to myself while both boys are in school. Between that and the arrival of my friend, Flo, it has been a discombobulated couple of days.

So...what am I hungry for...

• the momos and chocolate cake (el diablo) which Cap will bring home for my dinner after he's done shooting hoops

• a sense of stillness

• time

• a really long and uninterrupted night of sleep

• relief from the tightness in my shoulders which feel like they are at shoulder pad height

• time

I heard myself singing a familiar refrain to Cap this morning, that something has to give. I simply don't have the time to "do" everything. I am not willing to give up weekend activities like the eurythmy performance of The Crane Wife we're planning on taking the kids to tomorrow morning, or breakfast at Tower Café with Erika, Jerry and M on Sunday morning, in order to turn it up to eleven, so to speak, with my "To Do" list.

Probably because of the move and the pressure I'm feeling, the kids are more needy and attuned to when my attention on them wanes, because lately, they've been on me like butter on pancakes.

I've added T. Berry Brazelton's Touchpoints 3 to 6 and Mary Griffith's Homeschooling Handbook to my wish list. Have been perusing both and have seen enough to feel like they'll be good resources to have on hand.

Cap is considering working through August 1 so that we'll have health insurance coverage for August without paying COBRA. This means some reshuffling of ideas in terms of how our stuff, car, and he, will get across the country and when. He's got a conference he may be presenting at in Boston August 3. And the kids and I will have been in NYC since Juy 15. A new kink, hence the hoops.

And a big shoutout to Julia who gave me some much needed perspective on Cap, contextualizing it completely in her own experiences.

No comments: