I came to consciousness this morning, early, to the sound of Kinder saying the new rhythm he learned yesterday in drum and movement class. He is our early riser. We're all in the big bed by dawn and Kinder usually wakes quietly, but he is always super alert and "awake" the moment his eyes open. He is, also, irrepressible, which I would have no other way. Typically, he launches right into his thoughts and if he senses that any of us is in any way slightly conscious, he will start verbally riffing on something related to Ben 10.
But, this morning, it was a drum rhythm which consumed him. We had discussed his drum handedness yesterday...actually it was more of me talking to him about what I thought about his drum handedness (that he is ambidextrous with a preference for starting with his left hand). Thoughts percolated and gelled overnight and he elocuted this morning, sitting up amongst the folds and puffs of the apple comforter in the soft early light, stating that he used both his hands to drum.
Energized by the rhythm within him, he hopped out of bed and to the diningroom where his djembe lives and he began to drum. It was 6:15 a.m. I've never seen Cap bolt out of bed so fast...to spare the neighbors on a Saturday morning :-)
P.S. #1 This picture was taken before class began. By the time class gets rolling the drum circle is full of kids.
P.S. #2 I feel like I am living a double life staying up till midnight dropping into the world of "American Gods" and then being pried open, way too early, tumbling into my waking life with kids.
No comments:
Post a Comment